Re: LC_CTYPE locale category and character sets.

From: Michael Everson (
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 04:56:13 EDT

Nelson said:

>> At a conference I attended in Paris a few years ago, a French
>> typographer reported that the dropping of accents in uppersased words
>> often led to confusion

The famous example I know (probably I got this from Alain) would be if a
newspaper headline wrote LE PRESIDENT ASSASSINE, which doesn't tell you
whether the Président is dead (LE PRÉSIDENT ASSASSINÉ) or a murderer (LE

But Le Monde routinely uses accents on capital letters these days, probably
because they are easier to type than they used to be or something.

Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta **
Guthán: +353 1 478-2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478-2597 (by arrangement)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn;  Baile an Bhóthair;  Co. Átha Cliath; Éire