LC_CTYPE locale category and character sets.

From: Christophe PIERRET (cpierret@businessobjects.com)
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 05:48:49 EDT

Here are some questions regarding character properties and cultural
preferences:

* Does the character properties defined in a LC_CTYPE posix locale
category
  depends only on the character set of the locale ?

* Is it meaningful to consider that a unicode (considered as a character
set) LC_CTYPE
  locale category doesn't change with the cultural preferences ?

I can't imagine that LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A is not uppercase anymore !

But are there any known example of a LC_CTYPE character property
(isalpha, isupper, tolower, isdigit, isxdigit ...)
which changes or should change from one culture to another ?

I noticed that in the Unicode Character Database 2.1.1, the line
00DF;LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S;Ll;0;L;;;;;N;;German;;;
doesn't give a uppercase equivalent.
In the readme file , I read the explanation :

12 Upper case equivalent mapping. If a character is part of an
        alphabet with case distinctions, and has an upper case
equivalent,
        then the upper case equivalent is in this field. See the
explanation
        below on case distinctions. These mappings are always
one-to-one,
        not one-to-many or many-to-one. This field is informative.

So , how can we handle one-to-many uppercase equivalent ?

Does anyone has a good example of how to handle correctly the german
LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S (00DF)
'to uppercase' conversion , which sould give two letters : "SS" ?

Christophe Pierret
    Software Development Engineer
    Windows Product Group
    Professional E-mail: cpierret@businessobjects.com
    Personal E-mail: pach@hol.fr

Business Objects S.A.
    1, square Chaptal, 92309 Levallois-Perret, FRANCE
    http://www.businessobjects.com
    ______
   /_/_/_/| standart disclaimer : Opinions expressed here are mine blah
blah blah.
  /_/_/_/ |
 /_/_/_/ |
 |_|_|_|Cube Team