FW: SimulTrans Localization Seminar 8/11/98: Demystifying Unicode and Understanding its Relevance

From: Julia Oesterle (Unicode) (v-juliao@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 17:01:26 EDT

Of possible interest re seminar is in Mountain View, CA.
Julia Oesterle

SEMINAR OVERVIEW

This month, at the SimulTrans Localization Seminar, you will learn from
the experts on "Demystifying Unicode and Understanding its Relevance."
The explosive growth of the Internet has accelerated the push for
developing global software and an accompanying character set that can be
used worldwide. You will discover more about this international
language-encoding standard that supports the interchange, processing,
and display of various written texts. You will also see how the fixed
character code allows efficient sorting, searching, display, and editing
of text.

Guest speakers Bill Hall, Director of Internationalization at
SimulTrans; and Andrea Vine, Software Internationalization Consultant
plan to specifically address the following specific topics:

- The history of Unicode

- Basic principles

- Conformance issues, what's new in Unicode 2.0 and 2.1

- Key differences between ISO-15 and ISO-1.

For more information regarding Unicode, visit the Unicode Consortium's
web site (http://www.unicode.org).

Bill Hall has published and spoken widely in forums relating to I18N.
In April he spoke at the Unicode conference in Tokyo on "Unicode and
Win32 Internationalization," a topic he addressed in articles appearing
in the Microsoft Systems Journal and Journal of Win32 Development.
After teaching for 15 years at the university level, Bill joined
companies such as Novell and Netcom. He holds five degrees, from B.A.
to Ph.D., in subjects ranging from computer science and electrical
engineering to mathematics.

Andrea Vine has been internationalizing and localizing software for more
than eight years, working with companies such as Sun Microsystems,
Xerox, and Computer Associates. She specializes in internationalized
design for software applications. Past projects include e-commerce
applications, spreadsheets, project planners, communications interfaces,
network servers, and word processors. She is currently
internationalizing the Sun Internet Mail Server.

The SimulTrans Localization Seminar, the world's only monthly forum
devoted to localization, begins with introductions at 7 p.m., breaks for
refreshments at 8 p.m., and closes with Q&A at 9 p.m. Registration and
networking start at 6:30 p.m. Typical attendees are international
executives, localization directors, development directors, and
publication managers representing international IT companies such as
Adaptec, Adobe, Autodesk, Cisco, Hewlett-Packard, Hitachi, Macromedia,
Netscape, Oracle, Roche, Sun, 3Com, and Xerox.

If there are any issues relative to Unicode that you would like to see
addressed during August's seminar, please note them in your reply.

I hope to see you on Tuesday, August 11!

Sali Weller
Localization Seminar Coordinator