Re: News of AFII: international standard registry of glyp...

From: Werner LEMBERG (sx0005@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 07:30:06 EST

>The overlapping of the Private Use Area and the Corporate Use
>Subarea is only a concern if you want to do a 1-to-1
>Unicode->Glyph mapping (e.g. for unknown glyphs or glyphs which
>can't be handled by your rendering system) -- of course, it's a
>shame that even recent software written by Apple, Adobe, or
>Microsoft still rely on the 1-to-1 Unicode->Glyph model...

   Huh? What recent software written by Apple relies on the 1-1
   Unicode->Glyph model? Our Unicode imaging system in Mac OS 8.5
   (ATSUI) certainly doesn't.

Oops! Sorry for that. This was a contraction of two sentences -- one
with Microsoft and the other one with Apple and Adobe :-) My fingers
were faster than my brain.

Nevertheless, can you explain the reasons why you need some area in
the CUS? For backward compatibility? Adobe and MS probably have the
same reasons...

Most likely, Unicode level 2 isn't implemented yet...

    Werner