RE: Conversion term: triangulation

From: Addison Phillips (
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 17:56:14 EST

I've always heard it called "triangulation" (whenever one charset is
converted to another via an intermediary).


-----Original Message-----
From: John O'Conner []
Sent: Dienstag, 5. Januar 1999 13:45
To: Unicode List
Subject: Conversion term: triangulation

I have been using the term "triangulation" to describe the conversion
process from one charset to another when Unicode is used as an intermediate
character set. In other words, my usage of "triangulation" describes the
conversion from CHARSET A -> Unicode -> CHARSET B.

Is there an industry standard term that I should adopt for clarity and
consistency? I thought "triangulation" sounded appropriate since it seems
to describe a similar conversion process used in European countries that
have adopted the Euro currency.

John O'Conner

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:20:43 EDT