RE: We are not the only ones ...

From: F. Avery Bishop (averyb@microsoft.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 1999 - 15:45:32 EDT

Hello Erik and others,

In the MSJ article on Unicode in Windows 9x etc I listed W (Unicode)
functions that are implemented on Windows 95 and Windows 98 that I got from
a source in the dev group. I haven't tested all of them myself. I found out
after the aticle went to press that some of those functions had bugs in
Windows 95 that were fixed in Windows 98.

Workaround for GetTextExtent32W: As I said, I'm not an expert in this
function, so what I came up with are just some obvious hacks. After all is
said and done, converting to ANSI and using the A routine is probably the
easiest thing to do. Anyway, here are some things I thougth of:

If it only fails on 00b7 when passed as a single character, it seems you
could hack a solution using a string with 00b7 plus one other character
whose height is known to be less than that of 00b7, and then subtract off
the width of that other character. This assumes the font you're using
doesn't kern, and there's no other typographical interaction between the
other character and 00b7. By the way, have you tried GetCharWidthsW? It
might work OK, assuming you only need widths.

The other workaround is a pain, but it should work: Use GetFontData to query
the glyph widths directly from a table in the true type font file; in this
case the smallGlyphMetrics table should do. You have to know a lot about the
TTF file format to get this to work -- see
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/tt/tt.htm for details.

BTW, note that in the first article mentioned below, we say that Uniscribe
works on Windows 95 *except Far East versios*. That's because some of the
functions we needed to implement Uniscribe were not available on CJK Windows
95. This may be related to the bugs you're seeing on Japanese Windows 95.

Sorry I'm not more help than this.

F. Avery Bishop
averyb@microsoft.com