RE: Latin-1's apostrophe, grave accent, acute accent

From: Addison Phillips (AddisonP@simultrans.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 16:45:02 EDT

From a typographic point of view, acute and grave only SIMULATE the real
characters (typsetters opening and closing single quotes). These characters
are (in most faces) upright in a way that is similar to the apostrophe. The
optical illusion of "slant" is because they are composed of a dot with a
serif.

Note: the two characters are *rotated* 180 degrees with respect to each
other, not mirrored. The acute and grave have been used in the past because
of computing's terminal/teletype heritage, where "curly quotes" were not
available and we all made due with what was available.

I.e.: use option B and let formatting software handle the conversion to
(visibly curly) U+2018 and U+2019 when it is appropriate to do so (that is,
not in my source code and shell scripts!!)

That's my two cents.

Addison

        Addison Phillips
        Director, Globalization Consulting