Re: Latin-1's apostrophe, grave accent, acute accent

From: schererm@us.ibm.com
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 17:08:31 EDT

well, i am not an expert in this, but i believe that this discussion is about
having an appropriate glyph for a character inherited from ascii where it was
used for apostrophe, single quotes left and especially right, and accents. don't
all these functions have unambiguous characters in unicode? that would mean that
a "clean" or "correct" version would eventually have e.g. U+02bc (modifier
letter apostrophe) for what you need? one of its descriptions is "spacing clone
of Greek smooth breathing mark".

also, the description for U+0027 includes "preferred character for apostrophe is
2019" (U+2019 is the right single quotation mark).

markus

"Constantine Stathopoulos" <cstath@irismedia.gr> on 99-08-02 13:32:27