RE: TeX (was: apostrophe etc.)

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 16:07:57 EDT

I kind of like the two spaces after the period at the end of the sentence
since it's a cue to the editor/layout program that it's really the end of a
sentence and not an abbreviation. As Scott points out, the layout program
can have the smarts to do the right thing given the two spaces, but it's
hard to have enough smarts to distinguish between arbitrary abbreviations
and an end of sentence.

So actually, Michael, there is a modern reason for two spaces at the end of
a sentence :-)

Murray