Re: off topic emails

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 18:45:32 EDT

heinz.baumann@autodesk.com wrote on 1999-08-23 20:06 UTC:
> I acutely like to suggest to the Unicode Con. to create a Unicode news
> group, to encourage all subscriber to move the discussion from this e-mail
> alias over to the news group and to use this e-mail list for announcements
> and changes in the Unicode standard and its consortium.

The appropriate USENET newsgroup for exactly such discussion has existed
for many years and has a long tradition. It's name is

  <news:comp.std.internat> (I18n standards and related topics)

and it is the appropriate newsgroup for Unicode related discussions.
I read it and contribute there regularly.

But with much over 10000 newsgroups around these days, people get
quickly lost and do not find any more the relevant newsgroups, so the
bulk of technically qualified discussion has moved out to mailing lists.
USENET culture has been slowly dying over the past 5 years, probably
due to group inflation. Another group (comp.std.unicode ?) is NOT going
to help.

I hereby invite you to join comp.std.internat. It is the right place and
some fresh blood would definitely be welcome. Discussions about other
aspects of international standards related to computers are definitely
also welcome occasionally.

Markus
(former comp.std.internat FAQ maintainer, back in 1990-1995)