RE: Unicode characters in Word for Windows 97

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 16:18:55 EDT

Word 97 lets you insert the <= symbol using the symbol font and also using
several Western fonts like Arial, Times New Roman, and Tahoma. If you use
the symbol font, you'll get the old SYMBOL_CHARSET character with code 0xA3.
If you use the Western fonts, you'll get the Unicode value of U+2264, which
is written in RTF as \u8804\'3D, where 8804 is the decimal value
corresponding to 226F and \'3D is an approximate fit in the 1252 code page
used.

Naturally the Unicode value is preferable :-), but for your purposes you
need to use the old symbol font. It's possible to write a Word macro to
translate from the Unicode value to the symbol font value, but it'd take a
little effort. Unless you have a lot of these symbols, it would be quicker
to reinsert the symbol font values in place of the Unicode ones.

Murray