Re: orthographic characters for glottal stop

From: per Michael Everson (shorne@metaphasetech.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 05:54:56 EDT

> _4,_ [sic] with _tz'_,

Yes, that literal comma in Quiché has always stricken me as a bad idea,
even worse than the use of _3_ and _4_.

> This is certainly true, and it, along with early manuscript evidence was
> one reason that LATIN LETTERs OU were added to the standard, though most of
> the Canadian users are currently still using the digit 8.

On computers and typewriters, yes. In handwriting, the _ou_ ligature
is more common, and there's plenty of literature in hot-metal type
that uses the ligature, too.

> There are also
> those Latin tone marks used for Zhuang; but all of the required ones were
> not added as two (tone 3 and tone 6 I think)

Actually, tones 3 and 4 (Cyrillic _che_). Tones 2, 5, and 6 get
their own upper- and lower-case forms in Latin-B. One might as well
argue that Latin and Cyrillic _A_ (but not _a_) should be mapped to
Greek _A_.

> Same goes for the Q and W used in Russian Kurdish, which still
> don't aren't represented by CYRILLIC LETTERs KU and WE but rather were
> unified with their Latin letters. And there's those IPA Greek letters. I'd
> prefer not to have these kinds of unifications in principle.

I'm with you here in spades.

Scott