Re: encoding polytonic Greek

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 17:00:09 EDT

Am 1999-08-27 um 10:55 h hat peter_constable@sil.org geschrieben:
> I might encode a capital alpha with psili as U+1F08. Since the psili
> is often written to the left the capital alpha, though, this could
> be encoded as U+1FBF U+0391. Both alternatives are possible for any
> of the vowel/accent/breathing combinations.

Am 1999-08-27 um 11:08 h hat Rick McGowan geschrieben:
> The clearest way to encode polytonic Greek text is to avoid using
> all the extended precomposed stuff. Use fully decomposed sequences
> [i. e. U+0391 U+0313].

Am 1999-08-27 um 13:46 h hat Jeroen Hellingman geschrieben:
> However, some existing tools may only allow you to use the precomposed
> stuff because they cannot position accents properly.

So the question arises which tool will support which representation.
In practice, this boils down to the question: Which representation is
mandated by the tools available to me, and to my clients.

One application area I have in mind is publishing in the WWW:
- What can I recommend to a WWW author planning to publish pages
  with substantial quotes in ancient Greek, embedded in German,
  or English, text?
- What will the WWW author have to recommend to his readers?
Off course, the way to go is HTML 4.0 and UTF-8; but how will the
accented characters have to be represented so the major browsers can
adeqately render the text, which non-standard fonts will the reader need
to install, and where in the web can they be obtained?

The other application area I have in mind is preparing memos, theses,
perhaps books, with standard text-processing tools, again containing
substantial quotes in ancient Greek, embedded in German, Italian, or
English text. Does, e. g. Word 97, or Word 2000, support polytonic Greek,
and how? Where can I find the keyboard driver for ancient Greek Lori B
has mentioned, back in 1998, and, of course, suitable fonts?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz