RE: Identifying file encoding scheme

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Sep 14 1999 - 15:22:40 EDT

Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> "Krebs, Mike" <MKrebs@bofasecurities.com> writes:
> > On another note, you work for Sybase, so you're in a unique position to
> > answer the following question: In the NT version of BCP, is there a call to
> > the function I mentioned, IsTextUnicode(), in the portion that imports pipe
> > delimited files? If so, what are the tests that are specified in the
> > arguments to this function?
>
> Which BCP are you really talking about? The BCP I used is the one
> that comes with MS SQL Server 7, which is the only BCP I know that
> understands Unicode. But then again, I haven't been playing with
> Sybase for the last four years. I presume their BCP supports Unicode
> these days as well, but the two BCP are two different animals.

Yes. Microsoft SQL Server and related utilities such as BCP were
originally Sybase technology which have since parted ways. The
Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE) and Sybase BCP are now
distinctly different from the Microsoft products. The Sybase BCP
supports bulk copy operations in UTF-8 into and out of ASE, but
not UTF-16.

Sybase servers and server utilities are platform-independent code, and do
not make calls to platform-specific functions such as IsTextUnicode().
I cannot speak for what Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft's BCP do.

--Ken