Symbol font mappings

From: Robert Herzog (Robert.Herzog@cern.ch)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 09:09:24 EDT

Hello,

Looking through the mappings at the Unicode ftp server I discovered a
new, very recent version of Apple's Symbol font mapping (b03, 1999-Sep-22).

I think the following mappings should be changed to take the
glyph swap of U+03C6 (phi) and U+03D5 (phi symbol) in Unicode 3.0
into account:

'Old', Unicode 2.1:
0x66 0x03C6 # GREEK SMALL LETTER PHI
0x6A 0x03D5 # GREEK PHI SYMBOL

New, Unicode 3.0:

0x66 0x03D5 # GREEK PHI SYMBOL
0x6A 0x03C6 # GREEK SMALL LETTER PHI

The open phi (Symbol 0x6A) will now be U+03C6 (phi) and the
closed phi (Symbol 0x66) U+03D5.
Will these mapping tables be changed or did I miss something?

2nd question:
Is it 'useful' to have two Symbol font mappings, one from Apple,
one from Adobe, which are not identical although the fonts have
the same character set?

Robert

Robert Herzog
LHC division, CERN (European Laboratory for Particle Physics)
1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland
email: Robert.Herzog@cern.ch, tel: +41 22 76 79583