Re: Unicode with inDesign on Mac OS

From: Franko Luin (franko@omnibus.se)
Date: Sun Nov 21 1999 - 17:36:06 EST

Elbrecht skribis:

> what kind of Unicode characters did you succeed with - I guess only
> characters covered by an installed Language Kit, didn't you? Which
> Unicode characters is it possible to enter with Adobe inDesign?
>
> I am searching an ATSUI compatible application - to enter/edit ALL
> Unicode characters, even those not covered by Apple Language Kits!
> Since Mac OS 8.5 I was told this should work even with PC-fonts!!!

Capitals, Charcoal, Gadget, Palatino, Sand, Techno, Textile - as you see
fonts installed by the ordinary Mac OS installation. There may be more.
There is an odd possibility to insert Unicode characters in inDesign - in
this case I am talking only of the Latin alphabet - by the "Insert
character" menu item. It works, but it isn't user-friendly at all.

As for your search for an ATSUI compatible application, I feel the same
frustration as you not beeing able to receive any adequate information.
There are lots of technical documents on the Apple site, but not a single
one telling how an ordinary user can make use of Unicode, e.g. what
applications to use or what routines.

I am afraid that a contribution found on another list, telling that Unicode
will be usable on the Mac only with Mac OS X, may be true. InDesign seems to
be an anomality.

Franko Luin

www.omnibus.se