Re: Unicode with inDesign on Mac OS

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Sun Nov 21 1999 - 19:04:47 EST

At 02:32 PM 21-11-99 -0800, Franko Luin wrote:

>There is an odd possibility to insert Unicode characters in inDesign - in
>this case I am talking only of the Latin alphabet - by the "Insert
>character" menu item. It works, but it isn't user-friendly at all.

The 'Insert Character' function in InDesign is a fallback tool which
ensures that whatever other level of character input you may have -- e.g.
system level keyboard definitions -- you will always be able to access and
enter ever character in a font. Note that the 'Insert Character' function
is not Unicode based, but actually accesses characters by font glyph ID.
This means that even unencoded glyph variants can be accessed in this way.

>I am afraid that a contribution found on another list, telling that Unicode
>will be usable on the Mac only with Mac OS X, may be true. InDesign seems to
>be an anomality.

I believe InDesign makes use of Adobe's CoolType, which provides internal
and system independent font support across Adobe applications.
Unfortunately, not a lot of details have been made public about CoolType,
but I suspect that it includes some form of internal Unicode implementation
(much like the MS Office applications which make use of Unicode text
processing in non-Unicode versions of Windows).

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks
Vancouver, BC
www.tiro.com