Re: What happened to ....?

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 01:58:24 EST

At 07:48 -0800 1999/11/29, Mark E. Davis wrote:
>Unfortunately, we do not have a symbol yet for 'self-absorbed'. Perhaps one of
>the symbols on http://charts.unicode.org/Unicode.charts/glyphless/U2600.html
>would do in a pinch.
>
>Ashley Yakeley wrote:
>
>[snip]

> > Is there a codepoint for the symbol that's the name of The Artist
> > Formerly Known As Prince? If not in Unicode, perhaps in the CSUR?
> > Apologies if this question's been asked before.
> >
> > --
> > Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA

Yes, indeed, we had this discussion before. The conclusion :-) :-) is
that (The Artist Who Should Now Be Known as What's-'Is-Name[1])'s
pronunciationless name glyph is an idiosyncratic, personal, novel,
rarely exchanged, private-use logo and graphic, and as such is not
eligible (on seven separate counts) for inclusion in Unicode.

"The Unicode Standard does not encode idiosyncratic, personal, novel,
rarely exchanged, or private-use characters, nor does it encode logos
or graphics."
The Unicode Standard, Version 2.0, p. 1-3

[1] Or possibly "Toasted Cheese" (The Hunting of the Snark, An Agony
in Eight Fits, Fit the Second [IIRC])

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot! Oh, do let me help undo it."