RE: Official ISO 3166 country codes online

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 06:33:42 EST

I too agree: national flags used to symbolize languages are definitely
inadequate.

This practice implicitly makes stupid assumptions like:
- All Britons speak English (that would upsets all Welsh and some Scots);
- All English speakers are Britons (that would upsets all Americans,
Australians, Nigerians, etc.)
- And so on for any other language...

I have my own "creative" solution, that I used on my web-page: use a
portrait of the most celebrated poet that wrote in that language:
English=Shakespeare, Italian=Dante, German=Goethe, and so on.

Time ago, I proposed my solution to the webmaster of an anti-nationalist web
site. He recognized that having put an "Union Jack" icon on his site was a
blunder, but he said that my solutions had several problems too (Who decides
that Shakespeare is the greates English language's poet? What if someone
never saw Shakespeare's portrait before? What if Shakespeare looks very
similar to Cervantes, or to another language's "greatest poet"? What if we
have no portraits of a language's "greatest poet"? What if my icon is
20x20?)

He thought about it and, 2 days later, come up with his own solution, that
surprised me for its semplicity and geniality:

        http://www.anarca-bolo.ch/a-rivista/img/english.gif

He simply used the word "ENGLISH" as a symbol for the English language!

And indeed, if one can read a language (s)he can certainly read the name of
that languages expressed in the same language.

(There is still one problem, that I got to tell to my friend: blind English
speakers cannot read text in icons!)

Ciao.
        Marco