RE: Support for Multilingual Documents

From: Chris Pratley (chrispr@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 20:06:20 EST

Of course Peter, I was being a little tongue in cheek. But, let's not forget
that performance and size issues are always nickel and dime problems. Add a
little thing there and you slow down by 1%. Big deal, right? Well, if 15
things like that are added by different people all thinking it is no big
deal, you start to really notice. For example, when we are working on boot
times for Office apps, the performance team agonizes over hundredths of
seconds. Adding a single large (e.g. 30MB font) to Windows can significantly
increase the Windows start up time (maybe several seconds), especially if
any application included in the start up sequence tries to enumerate all
fonts, as many do (mainly because it is convenient and they are ignorant of
the perf hit). This alone is an unacceptable increase for many people.

Then there are all the other groups that want default install. For example,
does everyone want a full set of database drivers and access methods
installed by default? No, but for developers of database tools it sure would
be great if they were all there on all machines, and they didn't have to
ship the full set with their client software just in case the client machine
does not have them, including forcing a system reboot during install. You
see where this is headed - every special interest has an angle - you can't
accommodate all of them., and you have to triage the requests to accommodate
the ones who make the best cases. (In the bad old days, floppy disk space
was at a premium so we couldn't even ship the pan-Euro fonts with retail
versions of Win95 as an optional install due to the increase in
cost-of-goods-sold. Thank goodness for CDs, and now DVD)

Same thing with disk space - 50MB for complete international support is
still a lot. And is the case for this really as strong as say, the data
access argument? Keep in mind that people who seriously use a particular
language will already have that language support on their machine. You are
concerned mainly with people who for some reason a) understand and b) want
to use a language, yet c) for some reason do not have the support on their
system. This is a pretty specific group of people - a small minority of real
users (who tend to buy preconfigured localized versions), but maybe a
majority of readers of the Unicode list.

It is mainly a configuration issue then - how do we make sure that anyone
who wants this support can get it easily or automatically? One possible
solution is that it is installed by default, but for the short-medium term,
a solution more palatable to the rest of the users is required. In Win2000,
that solution is to make the support an easy control panel setting away, so
that's a big improvement over language packs hidden on the CD (NT4), or not
available at all (Win95 floppies)

Anyway, you and I agree on this - I am just trying to inject a little sense
of the competing pressures that govern the actual decisions for the benefit
of the list. Sometimes things are the way they are due to oversight, but
usually they are considered decisions resulting from tradeoffs of many
competing priorities that may not be apparent to the casual observer.

Cheers,
Chris Pratley
Lead Program Manager
Microsoft Office