Romanized Korean (was Re: Annotated writing)

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 01:45:05 EST

At 20:37 -0800 1999/12/11, Gregg Reynolds wrote:
>Edward Cherlin wrote:
>
> > At 13:20 -0800 1999/12/10, =?UTF-8?B?UmV5bm9sZHMsIEdyZWdn?= wrote:
> > > - How does Korean annotate Chinese characters? Hangul?
> >
> > It's more the other way around. The text will be in Hangul, with
> > occasional references to the Hanja for Chinese loan-words, as in the
> > Sino-Korean
> >
> > U+C704 AE14 0028 570D 7881 0029
> > wi gi ( surround board game )
> > hangul hangul ASCII hanja hanja ASCII
> >

>Very interesting. But presumably Hanja are annotated somehow in pedagogical
>materials, no?

I don't have any elementary school books here, but I can check
whether our local Korean bookstore has any.

>(And isn't "ouiji" a fortune-telling game? :)

In the case of oui-ja, the answer would be "yes", of course.

Romanizations of Korean for English-speaking readers use either 'k'
or 'g' to represent the sound of the letter kieuk/gieug. Neither is a
good fit, since kieuk is neither plosive like initial 'k' in English
nor voiced like 'g'. In any case, it isn't a 'j' sound, which belongs
to the letter named (romanized spelling) jieuj/(romanized
pronunciation) jieut in initial or medial position.

Edward Cherlin, Spamfighter <http://www.cauce.org>
"It isn't what you don't know that hurts you, it's
what you know that ain't so."--Mark Twain, or else
some other prominent 19th century humorist and wit