Re: Cantillation marks (teamim)

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 00:25:37 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathan Rosenne <rosenne@qsm.co.il>

Indeed.

> > 1) One of my sources lists as a separate cantillation mark a « sof
> > pasouq » looking like this ׃ֽ ( colon and a subscript bar),
> > Unicode uses SOF PASUQ U+05C3 for the colon ׃ . Any explanation ? The
source
> > is reputable : « Dictionnaire encyclopédique du Judaïsme », which is
available
> > in English under the title « The Encyclopedia of Judaism », edited by G.
Wigoder.

> Its just a glyph variation. It is neither a colon nor a semicolon, it is
the equivalent of a period.

My use of « colon » was only to describe its shape not its function.

> > 2) Another source gives the name GALGAL to a sign that, as
> > far as I can
> > see, is identical to YERAH BEN YOMO, U+05AA. Could it be a synonym ?
>
> Not exactly, they are distinct but indistinguishable. See the note at the
bottom of http://www.qsm.co.il/Hebrew/ab2.htm

Good enough for me.

> > 3) The same Encyclopedia of Judaism lists two teamim that I
> > do not seem
> > to be able to find in the standard:
> >
> > i) Teré Qadmin in the Sefardi tradition (a kind of Pashta but
> > straight or doubled : ` or ``), in the Yemeni tradition this is
apparently
> > called a Teren Fishtin.

Anything for me on this one ? What does the Hebrew Encyclopedia say about
this mark ?
Have you got access to the Encyclopedia of Judaism, ed. by G. Wigoder ?

> > ii) Azla (in the Ashkenazi tradition) this looks like a reversed
> > GERESH U+059C, i.e. the Azla is pointing towards the right.

According to your table this is equivalent to QADMA U+05A8. This is correct
when I compare the shape of Qadma in the Unicode book and my source.
Unfortunately, the Encyclopedia of Judaism names Qadma (or Azel in the
Yemeni tradition) a mark that is written below the line, not unlike DEHI.

Patrick