Re: Inconsistent TACK versus APL TACK

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 26 1999 - 00:46:47 EST

At 16:59 -0700 1999/05/29, Markus Kuhn wrote:
>Is it possible that there is some messup in the APL UP TACK and DOWN
>TACK symbols? They all seem to be the wrong way round:
>
>U+22A5 UP TACK looks as one would expect like this:
>

> -------
>
>However, U+2351 APL FUNCTIONAL SYMBOL UP TACK OVERBAR looks to my surprise
>like
>
> -------
> -------
> |

>in Unicode 2.0. It seems that all of
>
> U+234A APL FUNCTIONAL SYMBOL DOWN TACK UNDERBAR
> U+234E APL FUNCTIONAL SYMBOL DOWN TACK JOT
> U+2351 APL FUNCTIONAL SYMBOL UP TACK OVERBAR
> U+2355 APL FUNCTIONAL SYMBOL UP TACK JOT
> U+2361 APL FUNCTIONAL SYMBOL UP TACK DIAERESIS
>
>are named the wrong way round and that UP/DOWN should be exchanged.

It gets worse if you add in left tack and right tack.

22A2 RIGHT TACK No mention of unification with APL

|-----

22A3 LEFT TACK No mention of unification with APL

-----|

22A4 DOWN TACK
-------

>In general, I have the feeling that APL is a rather dark area of Unicode
>2.0 that was perhaps not too carefully scrutinized. Are there any
>official conversion tables between Unicode and and historic APL fonts or
>character sets available?
>
>Markus

IBM has a mapping between APL and Unicode that it uses in its APL2
products. Jim Brown, then of IBM, gave a presentation on this at one
of the conferences. I haven't heard of other APL software that
supports Unicode.

>--
>Markus G. Kuhn, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, UK
>Email: mkuhn at acm.org, WWW: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot! Oh, do let me help undo it."