Re: Unicode Cyrillic GHE DE PE TE in Serbian

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 12:49:53 EST

John Cowan wrote:

> Janko Stamenovic wrote:
>
>> - Should be four additional characters for Cyrillic Serbian letters
>> which are different in italics from Russian letters introduced to
>> Unicode?
>
> No, this is really awful. Different national conventions for writing
> what is the same letter (and only in italic face, at that) ought not
> to be perpetuated *in a character standard*. Which is not the same as
> saying that they should be abandoned altogether.

Just to play devil's advocate, and to improve my understanding...

What was the motivation then for encoding the block from U+06F0 to
U+06F9, EXTENDED ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT ZERO through NINE? Aren't these
just Persian glyph variants of U+0660 to U+0669, ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT
ZERO through NINE?

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California