Syriac and Mongolian joining behavior

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 10:03:46 EST

I was comparing this file on the Unicode ftp site:
        ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/ArabicShaping.txt

With this document on the www site:
        http://www.unicode.org/pending/syriac/default.htm
especially this chapter:
        http://www.unicode.org/pending/syriac/joinrule.htm

ArabicShaping.txt explains Syriac joining in the terms of the same two
joining classes defined for Arabic:
- Right Linking (may join with the letter on right side, totalling 2
contextual forms)
- Dual Linking (may join with the letters on right and/or left sides,
totalling 4 contextual forms)

But .../syriac/joinrule.htm adds a few extra classes that apply to letter
alaph.

Which one is right for Unicode 3.0? If ArabicShaping.txt file is right, is
the Syriac alaph to be handled with ad-hoc ligatures?

Where could I find similar information about Mongolian?

Thanks for any info.
        Marco