RE: Unicode and Word

From: Chris Pratley (
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 22:39:36 EST

If you're just using Word, then even with the standard US keyboard you can
use some built-in Word shortcuts, like Ctrl-Shift-2, then "a" to get a with
ring above (the "@" symbol is the mnemonic for ring). C with cedilla is
Ctrl+, (comma), then "C".

The full list if shortcuts are visible in Insert/Symbol (click the letter
you want and the shortcut is displayed), and you can define others if you


-----Original Message-----
From: John Cowan []
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2000 3:03 PM
To: Unicode List
Subject: Re: Unicode and Word

"Robert A. Rosenberg" wrote:

> I'm a Mac Type and used to getting via Option-' + e
> not ALT+0233 [from keypad)(other acutes are Option-' and the letter while
> other Option-keys get the other accents or in the case of
> Option-c ).

Use ' then e. If you want a real ', you have to type ' then SPACE.
The other dead keys are ^ for circumflex, " for diaeresis, ` for grave,
and ~ for tilde. There is no dead key for RING ABOVE, because CP1252
provides this only for a, so it is done with Left ALT. C-cedilla
is ' then C, since there is no C WITH ACUTE in CP1252.

There are a few CP1252 codes that can't be typed on the U.S. International
Keyboard, but only a few.


Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! || John Cowan <> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:20:57 EDT