Re: Unicode Cyrillic GHE DE PE TE in Serbian

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@dircon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 20:29:42 EST

From: Janko Stamenovic

> So is the idea of standard to cover different languages or not? Russian
and
> Serbian are different languages, not a variants of the same language.
Also,
> the problem is that the letter does not look the same AT ALL. Serbian
would
> not read "m" as "t" ever, when it occurs in the text. We are not talking
> about different kerning, but about completely different letter.
> Unfortunatelly for us, this is not visible when it is not italic only by
> accident. I will send you the GIF, I think then both sides would know what
> they are talking about?

There are plenty of examples ot this sort of thing in other scripts where
there are different variants of the script dependant on the geograaphical
area and/or the language being written in that script. My understanding is
that Unicode encodes characters in (abstract) scripts not characters in
languages. Many different languages may be written in any one script and
each of these languages may have it's own orthographic conventions.

- Chris