RE: General Category for CJK ranges?

From: Tom Emerson (Tree@basistech.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 16:39:32 EST

No, there are no semantic markers associated with the Han numbers: I was
told that the committee decided against assigning any such marker to the
ideographs. However, the following table may be useful to you:

http://cymru.basistech.com/~tree/numbers.html

HTH,

        -tree

Language Hacker                                    http://www.basistech.com

-----Original Message----- From: John D. Burger [mailto:john@mitre.org] Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2000 14:46 To: Unicode List Subject: General Category for CJK ranges?

Hello -

I am a computational linguist currently working with some Chinese text. Is there anything in the Unicode Database that indicates the semantic category of CJK characters, at a minimum numeric versus non-numeric? The version I examined [1] seems to indicate that all characters in the ranges U+3400 - U+4DB5 and U+4E00 - U+9FA5 are of category Lo (letter other).

[1] ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.html

- John Burger john@mitre.org