Re: Out-of-topic: script direction

From: John Jenkins (
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 13:49:50 EST

on 1/12/00 9:00 AM, at

> Allow me a na´ve question: what is the purpose of encoding characters(maybe)
> found in *one* single written(maybe) document?

Well, one cannot guarantee that more won't be discovered. :-)

Officially, the rationale was that people study and exchange data regarding
the one document.

Unofficially, I couldn't resist creating an encoding proposal that contained
the *entire known corpus* of literature in the proposed script.

The UTC didn't seem to share my enthusiasm.

John H. Jenkins