Etruscan was Re: Japanese RTL

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark@csupomona.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 01:06:36 EST

At 08:50 AM 00.01.12 -0800, John Jenkins wrote:
>Etruscan will probably be encoded as LTR letters. By the end of the
>script's life, that was the predominant direction and it was always a
valid
>choice. The standard may further specify that the letters should reverse
>shape when written RTL, however.

It is my understanding that scholars prefer LTR to fit in with Latin text.
The glyphs are more easily recognizable to those familiar with the Latin
alphabet when they are in their LTR orientation.

Curtis Clark http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
Biological Sciences Department Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University FAX: (909) 869-4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032 USA jcclark@csupomona.edu