RE: Unicodeless WAP?

From: Reynolds, Gregg (
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 09:27:33 EST

Doesn't look like it to me; see page 18 of

International Support
The document character set for WML is the Universal Character Set of
ISO/IEC-10646 ([ISO10646]). Currently,
this character set is identical to Unicode 2.0 [UNICODE]. There is no
requirement that WML decks be encoded
using the full Unicode encoding (e.g., UCS-4). Any character encoding
("charset") that contains a proper subset of
the logical characters in Unicode may be used (e.g., US-ASCII, ISO-8859-1,
UTF-8, Shift_JIS, etc.)

"WML" is Wireless Markup Language. See also page 22, Section 7.6,
"Internationalization". Looks like they want explicit markup of encoding
and language.

But that's the spec; I have no idea what's happening in actual products.