Re: 100%

From: Yung-Fong Tang (ftang@netscape.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 23:06:23 EST

The book "The Languages of the World" is first printin 1977, and revised in
1986, reprinted in 1989,1990 and 1992, new edition is print in 1995. I am not
sure the information it got reflect prior 1977 or 1995.

Rick McGowan wrote:

> Frank Tang mentioned a few languages...
>
> > Javanese- Java, Indonesia, 75 million speakers [page 234]
>
> The Javanese LANGUAGE is actually covered just fine in modern Latin script,
> but the Brahmic-derived traditional script is not encoded. That is planned
> for the future; it is not in much current use.

The real question is- what script do they print on daily newspaper in 2000 ?
Latin script or Java script ?

> > Batak- Sumatra, Indonesia, 2 million speakers. [page 238-239]
> > Buginese- Celebes, Indonesia, 2.5 million speakers [page 237]
>
> These current languages have traditional writing systems that are planned to
> be covered in Unicode 4.0, and solid encoding proposals exist for them. I'm
> not clear on the actual extent of current use these scripts enjoy. But at
> last report, they had SOME current use. I have never found anyone who could
> actually confirm current use for EITHER of these scripts. (But then, I
> haven't been to Sumatra or Celebes.)

The origional topic about the "100%" statement is aboutt the Unicode 3.0.
Unicode 4.0 is not in the scope of this particular discussion. But thanks for
your info anyway.

> > Nakhi- Yunnan, China, 230 thousand people [page 217]
> > Sibo- northwestern China, 40 thousand people [page 216]\

Me neither, I just quote some info from the book.