Layout of Unicode 3.0 book with FrameMaker

From: John O'Conner (John.Oconner@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 19:59:14 EDT

I have been using FrameMaker for about a year...now using 5.5 on a
Windows 2000 pc. I often need to type or layout characters that are in
the Unicode standard but that don't appear available from within
FrameMaker. For example, I cannot display Japanese characters on my U.S.
English version of FrameMaker even though I have the fonts available.

I noticed that the authors of the recently released Unicode 3.0 standard
also used FrameMaker and have successfully embedded all sorts of
characters within the running text (or it appears as such). An example
of this appears on the first page of Chapter 15 "Han Indices". Can
anyone of you give me an idea of how this was accomplished. I can't make
it work except by using inline gif or bmp images of the glyphs...which I
really don't want to do...or by using cut-and-paste from Word 2000. The
latter seems to display the image correctly within my FrameMaker app,
but it doesn't seem portable from one machine to another since it relies
on having an embedded Word document (OLE) within the FrameMaker
page...right??? So how did the Unicode 3.0 authors do this?

Regards,
John O'Conner