Re: Linguistic precedence [was: (TC304.2313) AND/OR:

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 06:50:05 EDT

Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com wrote:

> > A Coruņa [...]
>
> I though it was "La Coruņa" (in Castillian) or "A Corunha" (in Galician).

In fact, I never went to Galicia, so I do not know.
In the rest of Spain, practice is to spell it A Coruņa, particularly
on road atlases, even if the proper Castillian spelling is of course
La Coruņa (and that is the name used when one talks about the football
club).

Thinking about it, I agree A Corunha looks more Portuguese so
Galician than A Coruņa. So I did look at the official web site
of Galicia <URL:http://www.xunta.es/>, and found an interesting
page <URL:http://www.xunta.es/nomenclator/index.htm>. Which in
fact use A Coruņa, even in a Galician text. Ā suivre...

Antoine