Re: Mac Unicode font for Polytonic Greek

From: John H. Jenkins (
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 11:35:10 EDT

At 2:08 PM -0800 7/4/00, David J. Perry wrote:
>Does anyone know of a MACINTOSH font that includes the Greek
>Extended characters (as well as the Basic Greek, of course)? I know
>of some for Windows but so far have not been able to find anything
>for the Mac. I assume that Mac OS 8.5 or greater and Mac Word 98
>would be able to handle such a font (my own Mac is stuck on 7.6
>since it's not a PowerMac). I'm asking on behalf of a friend who is
>starting to teach Greek next year; I'd much prefer to direct him to
>a Unicode solution, if one exists.

If you're using a Unicode application (e.g., one that uses ATSUI or
MLTE), then the Windows font will work fine. Just set the file type
to 'sfnt' using ResEdit or a similar utility.

If you're *not* using a Unicode application, you'll have to use an
old-fashioned hack font. I'm font of Graeca from Linguist's Software,

John H. Jenkins