Re: Any other Italians on Unicode List? (was RE: French annotated Cha

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 13:01:34 EDT

Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com wrote... scuzzi!... ha scritto (-:

> Indic: indico (?) / indiano (?) / dell'India / indostano [? *2]
>
> *2: ma forse "indostano" è sinonimo di "hindi/urdu"?

I cannot be sure what is the meaning of "ma forse", but anyway:

Hindustani is the term by which the direct ancester language of both
Hindi and Urdu is known (it can also describe the union or the
intersection of them).

Indic, OTOH, intents a broader meaning, which includes for example Sanskrit
and Dravidian languages, none of them being ever referenced as covered
by Hindustani.

Antoine