Landmark name format

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 16:54:29 EDT

Could someone help me define how users in different countries would expect a
geographic landmark's name to be displayed.

If in Canada we would locate a vehicle/train/asset the following way :

15 km SE of Montreal, Quebec -- English
15 km SE de Montréal (Québec) -- French

How would people locate them in Russia ?

15 km NW of Samara, Oblast name ?, Russia ?
I am more interested in the structure that the actual character or language
encoding here.

Do people, in the case of autonomous republics, use more levels ? I.e.
Distance from town, Oblast, Republic's name, Russia ?

Do people know of countries that would introduce more than 2 levels
(country, province/state/republic/department) to specify where a landmark
would be ?

Many thanks

Patrick