Re: Subject lines in UTF-8 mssgs? [was: Proposal to make ...]

From: Christopher J. Fynn (cfynn@dircon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 21:15:48 EDT

"Jaap Pranger" <yaap@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> At 16:44 +0200 2000.07.12, Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com wrote:

> >Everybody (beginning by myself!) should probably be more careful
> >in naming subject lines, and renaming them when a reply deviates
> >from the subject.

> Marco,

> This wil not help very much when you send UTF-8 messages. Your
> Subject lines in those messages show up completely "garbled", at
> least in my non-UTF-8-aware email client. OK, that's my problem.
> But mostly other people's UTF-8 messages show 'neat' Subject headers.
> What's going on, why this difference?

> Jaap

In Outlook Express under Tools, Options, Send, International Settings
it is possible to specify that only English (? ASCII) is used in headers
and under Tools, Options, Send, Plain Text Settings & Tools, Options,
Send, HTML Settings it is possible to specify whether or not 8-bit
characters may be used in message headers.

These settings seem to apply whatever encoding is used for the body
of the message.

- Chris