Re: Spanish Locales

From: addison@inter-locale.com
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 14:26:14 EDT

There is another problem with using the defaulting of "es" to mean Latin
America, which is that there are *other* things that locales do besides
text. Ideally, you want to see the particular currency, date format,
etc. for the specific locale, while not having to have twenty-seven
copies of the same resource bundle.

The two-bundle solution also allows some weird special things (like having
the support information for the "About" dialog stored in the specific
bundle for the specific locale, while having most of the UI in the "LA
Spanish" bundle). This way your application looks even MORE localized!

Another backdoor solution is to create a ResourceBundle that contains a
class that loads the UI from another set of resources. This avoids having
the list of locales in the first example (and lets you put specific
locale-based strings in the "upper level" bundle).

Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips Principal Consultant
Inter-Locale LLC http://www.inter-locale.com
Los Gatos, CA, USA mailto:addison@inter-locale.com

+1 408.210.3569 (mobile) +1 408.904.4762 (fax)
Globalization Engineering & Consulting Services