Spanish Locales

From: Tex Texin (
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 17:59:33 EDT

I wonder how others are dealing with problems like the

I have a Java program for which I also have a translation for Latin America.
I know there are differences among the Latin American dialects, but I am
told this file is ok for all Latin America. At the same time it is not
for use in Spain, so I have a different file for that.

I have not found a locale for Latin America. I am reluctant to create
locales for each country in L.A. as I guess it is too likely I will
get it wrong, and it also increases the disk footprint of the program.

I do not want to simply make this translation the default (es), as I am
concerned I do not know all of the places where the preferred language is
Castillian Spanish, and for these I would need to make an exception.

Any good ways around this, or do I need to simply bite the bullet and
make one variation for every country.

If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, why practice?
Tex Texin                      Director, International Products      +1-781-280-4271 Fax:+1-781-280-4655
Progress Software Corp.        14 Oak Park, Bedford, MA 01730 #1 Embedded Database JMS Messaging- Best Middleware Award #1 provider in the ASP marketplace Open Source software and services for MySQL

Globalization Program ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Come to the Panel on Open Source Approaches to Unicode Libraries at the Sept. Unicode Conference