Re: Spanish Locales

From: Tex Texin (
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 19:27:59 EDT

Linus, thanks.

Yes, that was among the first ideas we had, but I don't like leaving it to
customers to have to edit their configurations and often they
don't realize that the configuration is editable and just presume the vendor
doesn't support their market well.

Also, I am not sure how many countries besides Spain, and outside of
Latin America of course, might use Iberian Spanish. Anyone know?

Linus Toshihiro Tanaka wrote:
> My suggestion is to use "es" for Latin American Spanish, and "es_ES" for
> Iberian Spanish. If some Spanish speaking countries prefer Iberian
> Spanish, then you could copy the contents from "es_ES" (to "es_PH", for
> example). This way, you can probably reduce the number of files from
> 20(?) to a few (or several) files. If some countries really want
> different contents, then you could create new contents (for "es_MX", for
> example).
> | Linus Toshihiro Tanaka 500 Oracle Parkway M/S 4op7 |
> | NLS Consulting Team Redwood Shores, CA 94065 USA |
> | Server Globalization Technology email: |
> | Oracle Corporation |

If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, why practice?
Tex Texin                      Director, International Products      +1-781-280-4271 Fax:+1-781-280-4655
Progress Software Corp.        14 Oak Park, Bedford, MA 01730 #1 Embedded Database JMS Messaging- Best Middleware Award #1 provider in the ASP marketplace Open Source software and services for MySQL

Globalization Program ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Come to the Panel on Open Source Approaches to Unicode Libraries at the Sept. Unicode Conference