Re: Bangla(Bengali) letter Missing

From: Abdul Malik (AbdulMalik@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 12:54:45 EDT

> Robert Brady wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Abdul Malik wrote:
> > > How am I to encode the different forms in unicode?
> >
> > For the last three, you can do something like
> > BENGALI LETTER WHATEVER
> > BENGALI VIRAMA
> > BENGALI LETTER BA
> > for the -va form, and
> >
> > BENGALI LETTER WHATEVER
> > BENGALI VIRAMA
> > ZERO WIDTH JOINER
> > BENGALI LETTER BA
> > for the -ba form.

> That's what I was going to post, but you were quicker ;-)

What about the first example?

> However, this mechanism (VIRAMA + ZWJ) should only be for forcing a
> particular *visual* representation of the *same* orthographic entities:
> halfConsonant + fullConsonant vs. ligature.
>
> In this case, Abdul Malik claims that there are also *phonetic*
differences
> ("bbo" vs. "bvo", "cvo" vs. "cbo", etc.). So why using this hack rather
than
> including a proper "va" letter?

(the phonetic differences are real)

> Of course, I see the problem: "ba" and "va" would be identical in most
> cases, and this may lead to confusion (imagine having two keys showing
> identical letters: which is which?).

Yes indeed, I would put it stronger:
Ba and Va when in isolation: both look the same, are pronunced the same, and
are called by the same name by speakers of Bangla
so a hack method looks to me to be more favourable.
Having said that, It is definately *not* an ideal or good solution.

> Nevertheless, there are several examples of characters that are exactly
the
> same visually, but have been kept separate on the bases that they are
> logically different.
>
> E.g., the isolate and final forms of U+06CC ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH are
> identical to U+0649 ARABIC LETTER ALEF MAKSURA [...]

So how do I know wich key to press on my keyboard?

Abdul