Re: Bangla(Bengali) letter Missing

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 13:36:29 EDT

Abdul Malik <AbdulMalik@btinternet.com> wrote:

> If that is so, it only leaves the problem of how to display Unicode
> encoded text, where the language is not known.

<asbestos>
Well, you could always use U+E0001 U+E0061 U+E0073 to mark your
Assamese text and U+E0001 U+E0062 U+E006E to mark your Bengali text.
Then an application that understands the details of both languages may
be able to render 'da virama ba' in the linguistically correct way.
</asbestos>

> I mean should 'da virama ba' be displayed as 'dba' or 'dva'? A
> bangladeshi would expect 'dva' (the common form) but an assamiya
> reader would expect 'dba' or 'da virama ba' to be displayed ('dva'
> being displayed only for da virama va)
>
> Hmm. I think then, that the default behaviour of an application

Thank you for providing my counterexample. You spell 'behaviour' with
a 'u', as do most speakers of British, Australian, and even Canadian
English. As an American, however, I spell it without the 'u'. Yet
we still understand it to be the same word.

Are the differences between Bengali and Assamese so minor that reading
'dba' instead of 'dva' will cause words to be misunderstood?

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California