Off-topic: digraphs and trigraphs

From: Doug Ewell (
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 22:31:43 EDT

Does anyone know of a commonly used or commonly accepted collective
term for multi-character sequences (e.g. digraphs, trigraphs, etc.)?
I'm thinking that the word "multigraph" would be appropriate, but I
don't want to invent my own term if one already exists. (Besides, it
sounds like an early '80s software package.)

Along the same lines, would the term "quadrigraph" be appropriate for
a four-character sequence?

Thanks in advance for any tips. Please respond privately unless you
feel your response may be of interest to the list at large.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:21:06 EDT