RE: Identifying a Unicode character

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 13:17:47 EDT

On Monday, August 21, 2000, at 06:12 PM, David J. Perry wrote:

> Thanks much for the reply; I learned some time ago about alt-x from
> somebody on this list (perhaps you!) and have found it very useful; I hoped
> there was a reverse procedure and you just provided it. Dare we hope for
> option-x and shift-option-x in Mac Word? Good news about the new version too.

Unless they hack it themselves, it seems unlikely. The Mac offers a Unicode keyboard, but unless an application decides to make it available it won't be active. One of the problems that the Mac Office team faces is that there code makes heavy use of older APIs and it has proven impractical for them to switch to using the newer ones, which hampers their ability to support Unicode.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com