Re: Unicode on a website

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 08:51:37 EDT

Santosh.S.N. wrote about Unicode and web sites,

When Unicode double-byte replaces older single-byte
encoding, everything is doubled; transfer speed, disk
storage space, etc. (One way to minimize this is to
use UTF-8 if the bulk of the material is basic Latin.)
The advantage to going Unicode here is that Unicode
is the standard, meaning that the visitor to the web
page has a much better chance of reading what the
author intended and that search engines should be
able to index the site and direct potential traffic there.

When Unicode double-byte replaces other double-byte
encoding schemes... it's an even trade on storage and
transfer.

When Unicode replaces graphics files, there are some
obvious advantages. In-line gifs can't be indexed by
search engines, for one thing. Text transfers and
stores much better than graphics, too. Pages tend
to load quicker.

Here are some examples from the web:

1) A site which uses Unicode for languages
     other than Hindi
     http://www.cig.ensmp.fr/~hubert/glu/aglo.htm

2) A site which uses Unicode for Armenian
     http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/unicode/samples/armbeisp.htm

3) A site which uses local font for Armenian
     http://www.noyan-tapan.am/arm/index.htm

4) A site which uses graphics for Armenian
     http://www.weirdo.it/armen/index.html

Best regards,

James Kass.