Re: URDU fonts

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 00:40:55 EST

From: "MULTI-LINGUIST" <mlinguist@mantraonline.com>

> Thanks so much Mr.Michka,

Just michka, or Michael is fine. :-)

> I donot know whether the URDU TTF fonts are Unicode fonts or not. What I
> mean is InPage (Urdu typesetting software) has TTF fonts, but these are
only
> restricted to InPage i.e. not compatible with any other software, even
with
> Farsi/Arabic Windows. Universal Word also has TTF URdu fonts, but may or
may
> not be compatible with Arabic/Farsi Windows.

Sounds like they are not Unicode fonts, which would be useable in Word and
other programs.

> Forgive me for the lack of knowledge, but you have mentioned "Arabic
> *language* not the Arabic *script* ". Well, what is the difference
between
> the two??

Well, the Arabic language is used in various middle eastern countries.
However, the Arabic script is used to represent many languages, including
Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, Pashto, and about a dozen others. Many of these
languages, such as Urdu, have letters that are not used in the Arabic
language but are necessary to make proper use of the other language.

> I understand that Windows 2000 has URDU keyboard, but then what about the
> URDU fonts? We have Windows 98 and WORD 2000, will that be helpful?

Well, it will be helpful in VIEWING documents, but not in typing them in....
there are I believe 16 letters that are used by Urdu that do not exist in
cp1256 (the Arabic code page for Windows) and those characters do not exist
in keyboards for Win98 or anywhere else.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/