Re: I have a drem one day I can see th

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 12:43:28 EST

Michael Kaplan asked:

> James Kass actually pointed out a proposal for some additional characters
> needed:
>
> http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/documents
>
> and said an earlier proposal had been rejected?

The WG2 proposals were for additional *presentation forms* for
Uighur characters. (initial, final, medial forms)

The base characters for Uighur are already all in the standard(s),
and any competent Arabic script implementation with font support for
extended Arabic should be able to do the shaping for Uighur, as well
as many other Central and East Asian Turkic languages written using
the Arabic script.

WG2 turned down the proposal since it (and the UTC) have no interest
in encoding more Arabic letter positional forms (or Arabic ligatures).

--Ken