Re: boustrophedon more current, not ancient?

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 00:12:42 EST

At 08:13 PM 12/21/2000 -0800, Robin Cover wrote:

>See Naveh and others on proto-Canaanite writing - "vertical
>boustrophedon" is a common locution. Vertical alphabetic
>apparently dropped out of use by about 1100 BCE.

To clarify, is Naveh talking about vertical text -- i.e. glyphs stacked one
on top of another -- or rotated boustrephedon text -- i.e. glyphs
side-by-side but running downwards? I'm assuming the former, from the
context of your comments, but since this thread has been plagued by inexact
and admitedly idiosyncratic terminology I would like to be sure that I
understand you.

Also, can you cite specific books that include examples of this 'vertical
boustrephedon'.

Many thanks,

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks |
Vancouver, BC | All empty souls tend to extreme opinion.
www.tiro.com | W.B. Yeats
tiro@tiro.com |