[OT] Re: Kang Jie introduction?

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 03:00:45 EST

I'm in the middle of composing an English-language Cangjie tutorial
in self-defense. There isn't anything useful on it in English, as far
as I know. If you have a recent version of Microsoft Word, I can send
you my notes. I'm getting my information from a book in Chinese
called Cangjie Shurufa Step-by-Step, and verifying my examples on
both Mac and Windows, which handle some characters differently.

At 09:13 -0800 2001/1/8, Ayers, Mike wrote:
> I am looking for a tutorial or introduction to Kang Jie typing.
>Kang Jie, sometimes called Chang Jie, as well as some other transliterations
>(none of which I('m quite sure that I'm spelling correctly, as I don't have
>a reference handy),

The first syllable is closer to Tsang, but you really need to hear
the pronunciation. Are you learning Chinese from a native speaker?

>is a language and dialect independent method for typing
>CJK characters (question: is there a general name for [hanzi|kanji|hanja]?)
>based (loosely) on radicals. I have software which permits me to type with
>Kang Jie, bu no idea what to type. Does anyone know how I can get started?

Actually, not on radicals as such. There are 24 basic Cangjie symbols
plus X. The basic symbols are all fairly simple characters, many but
not all of them are radicals. Each symbol stands for several shapes
more or less related to its basic shape, except X, which stands for
several complex shapes. Any character can be decomposed into a
sequence of Cangjie shapes, which can in turn be encoded in a
sequence of Cangjie symbols, according to a modest number of rules.
There are more rules for picking up to five symbols out of the
sequence as the standard encoding for typing each character. There
are also some fairly minor complications and special cases. For
example, some characters, such as ®*, are encoded according to one
way of writing them, but frequently printed in a different form and.

--

Edward Cherlin Generalist "A knot!" exclaimed Alice. "Oh, do let me help to undo it." Alice in Wonderland